Don’t you hate it when you get halfway to work and realise that your beautifully planned and prepared lunch is still chilling on the bench at home?
You were trying to eat healthy by making the right choices. Everything was set to have a healthy day. Now that’s all gone out the window and your only option is to get a burger and chips. What a shame, I guess you’ll have to start the health kick again tomorrow, right?
Don’t let a slip in memory become an unplanned exception to your habit of eating a healthy lunch. There is still a way to make a healthy choice and stay on track. Ditch the ‘all or nothing’ approach and think laterally! Here are a 7 convenient, fail-safe meals you can throw together with a few ingredients from the supermarket.
Yes, these do contain some more processed food products, but it’s important to put those processed foods into context of the whole meal and the whole diet. If you can pair a processed food with lots of whole foods, the meal is more balanced. And let’s face it, if you are choosing between one of these options or a schnitty or deep fried seafood basket then these options will likely win (from a nutrition perspective).
[Disclaimer: All product images used within this article are examples only. The Healthy Eating Hub does not receive payment from any of the brands pictured below.]
7 Convenient Supermarket Meals
1. Smoked Salmon with Kaleslaw & Beans
- 100 g of smoked salmon
- 2 cups/handfuls of Kaleslaw
- 125 g tin of Four Bean Mix
- 1 Tbsp. Aioli
2. Tuna, Rice and Steam Vegetables
- 2 x 95 g tins of tuna
- 1 x 125 g Microwave Rice & quinoa cup
- 1 x 150 g Steam Fresh vegetable bag
3. Chicken and Slaw Wraps
- 100 g BBQ chicken
- 2 x Barley Max Wraps
- 2 x cups Rainbow Coleslaw
4. Deli Greek Salad & Rare Roast Beef
- 1 x Small/medium Deli Greek Salad
- 150 g Rare roast beef slices
5. The Solo Sharing plate
- Handful of snow peas
- Handful of pre-chopped carrots
- 1/2 large Capsicum
- 50 g Prosciutto
- 20 g Olive dip
6. Butter Chicken & Rice with Added Vegetables
- Pre-made Butter Chicken & rice
- 1 x 150 g Steam Fresh Vegetable Bag
7. Ham, Cous Cous & Rocket Salad
- 1 cup cooked wholemeal couscous
- 100 g Deli ham
- 2 Cups rocket salad mix
- 1 Tbsp. Dressing of choice
The next time you forget your lunch, or your looking for a super quick and convenient meal, try these on for size before you hit the default button and head to your nearest café.
*Images sourced from Woolworths online shopping. Not a sponsored post.