This is a really delicious and very filling breakfast idea. It only takes a few minutes to whip together and if you’re organised you can pop most of the ingredients in the blender the night before. Then in the morning all you have to do is add ice, blend and go!
Personally, I prefer my bananas super ripe and sweet particularly if they are going into a smoothie. I can’t stand the tangy taste of an unripe banana smoothie. The dates in this recipe really help to stop that feeling by adding a super sweet flavour, and some fibre to boot. If you’re like me and you prefer your bananas nice and ripe, you’ll know that you end up with a small window to consume them before they go over ripe.
A great way to keep your banana ripe for smoothies is to peel them when they are just right and then freeze the peeled banana in a container. Then you’ll always have a perfect banana on hand for your smoothies.
Banana and Date Smoothie
- 20 g dates, dried, pitted
- 250 ml milk, any (1 cup) soy for vegan option
- 20 g almonds, raw (1 tbsp)
- 1 banana peeled
- 1 cup ice
- In a small bowl place dates in 1 tbsp of hot water. Allow dates to soften for 5 minutes.
- Combine dates with milk, almonds, banana and ice in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
- 1 serve protein
- 1 ½ serve fruit
- 1 serve fat