This recipe is perfect for those times when you only have to feed yourself, but it can easily be adapted to feed the whole family if needed – simply multiple all of the ingredients by the number of serves you need. It’s got The Plate Model covered with protein (40g of it!), a serve of high fibre carbohydrates, 2 serves of vegetables and a small amount of healthy fats – everything you need for a balanced, satisfying meal!
Easy Fried Rice
- 80 g chicken, breast alternatively 1/2 cup leftover shredded chicken meat
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 75 g peas, fresh or frozen (½ cup)
- ¼ capsicum finely diced
- 1 onion, spring thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce salt-reduced, gluten free if required
- 1 tsp oil, canola
- ¾ cup rice, brown cooked, or instant microwave cup
- Poach chicken breast in saucepan of boiling water for 10 mins. Drain and dice the cooked chicken. If using pre-cooked chicken, skip this step.
- Cook the rice as per packet instructions. If using instant microwave rice, heat the rice as per packet instructions.
- Heat oil in fry pan on medium heat. Whisk egg in a bowl and then pour into fry pan–do not mix once added to pan, you want it to be an omelette. Cook for 2-3 mins before flipping. Cook for another minute on this side, then remove from the pan. Cut omelette into thin slices.
- Add the crushed garlic, peas and capsicum to the pan. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add the cooked chicken, egg, rice and soy sauce. Cook for another minute.
- Serve onto a plate and sprinkle with sliced spring onion.
- 1 serve carbohydrate
- 1 serve protein
- 2 serve vegetables
- ¼ serve fat