One of my favourite things to do on a Saturday morning is cook up a nice big, hot breakfast. For me, nothing beats scrambled eggs on toast (coupled with a cappuccino of course) on a lazy weekend morning.
As a nutritionist, I’m constantly searching for new and exciting ways to eat vegetables and one of my favourites has to be this dish. Packed full of nutrition, this big breakfast of eggs on toast will leave you feeling satisfied without the excess kilojoules that usually come along with a meal like this.
Eggs on Toast with a Twist
- olive oil spray
- 8 slices bread, wholemeal
- 1 avocado thinly sliced or mashed
- 20 mushroom, button sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp basil, fresh finely chopped (or parsley)
- 8 egg medium sized
- ⅛ cup milk, any
- 2 tbsp cheese, parmesan
- salt and pepper
- Prepare all the ingredients first so you can get everything ready at roughly the same time (to the best of your ability!).
- Toast the bread and divide amongst 4 plates. Top or spread each piece of toast with avocado.
- Lightly spray a frypan with olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook, regularly tossing them, for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook, tossing regularly, until the mushrooms are soft. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Whisk the egg, milk, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper in a bowl with a fork. Re-heat the fry pan over medium heat. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and gently fold the mixture over itself until it’s all just cooked. Remove from the heat divide it amongst the four plates placing the scrambled eggs on top of the toast.
- Top the eggs with the garlic mushrooms and sprinkle with fresh basil to serve.
- 1 serve carbohydrate
- 1 serve protein
- ¾ serve vegetables
- 1 serve fat