Here at The Healthy Eating Hub we love thinking up new and exciting ways to eat vegetables. Without argument, vegetables are the cornerstone of a healthy diet and regardless of what else you eat, adding more ‘plants’ into your day will result in improved health long term. If you’re stuck in a vegetable rut why not try something new? This recipe is an absolute cracker, it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and tastes absolutely fantastic! Get cooking!
All you need to do is take delicious, lightly grilled Mediterranean vegetables, fresh flavours like chilli, garlic and lemon, toss them through high fibre pasta and then sprinkle with some good quality feta cheese. Make sure you grab yourself a good quality extra-virgin olive oil and you’ve got a deliciously easy weeknight meal that’s good for your body as well.
Feta and Grilled Vegetables with Pasta
- 2 tbsp oil, olive extra virgin
- 3 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 chilli, red finely chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped into sticks
- 1 capsicum, red chopped into sticks
- 1 eggplant, Lebanese chopped into sticks
- 200 g pasta, spaghetti dry, high-fibre or wholemeal
- 1 lemon juiced and zest
- 320 g cheese, feta
- salt and pepper
- ½ bunch parsley, flat leaf, fresh roughly shredded
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook the pasta, as per the packet directions until cooked through. Reserve some cooked pasta water in a cup, before draining the rest and set cooked pasta aside.
- Whilst pasta is cooking, add 1 tsp of olive oil in a fry pan over high heat. Add the vegetables to the pan in batches and cook for approx 2 minutes on two sides or until slightly charred. Remove from the heat and repeat with the remaining batches of vegetables. Set aside.
- Add ½ tbsp olive oil in the same pan over low heat. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 2-3 minutes, don’t let it burn. Add the cooked vegetables, pasta and lemon juice. Toss to combine. Add some of the reserved cooked pasta water if the pasta is too dry.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle generously with the feta cheese, parsley and pine nuts. Serve.
- 1 serve carbohydrate
- 1 serve protein
- 1 ½ serve vegetables
- 1 serve fat