Most salads, when made well, are a great way to get plenty of vegetables into your day. One of the things I love most about salads is experimenting with and trying lots of different flavour combinations.
This feta, pine nut and sweet potato salad has the perfect mix of sweet and salty, whilst being low GI and surprisingly filling.
Feta, Pine Nut & Sweet Potato Salad
- 8 cup lettuce, leaves, mixed
- 300 g chicken, breast poached and shredded (1 breast)
- 120 g cheese, feta
- 400 g potato, sweet cut into 1 cm cubes, skin on
- 40 g pine nuts lightly toasted (2 tbsp)
- 20 g tomato, sundried drained, thinly sliced (2 tbsp)
- 1 cucumber, any diced
- ½ onion, red thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp vinegar, red wine
- oil, olive, spray
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly spray sweet potato cubes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place onto a lined oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until cooked through and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, combine the green leafy salad, shredded chicken, feta, pine nuts, sun-dried tomato, cucumber and spanish onion in a large bowl. Lightly spray the salad with olive oil, drizzle over red wine vinegar and toss to combine.
- Divide the salad evenly among 4 serving bowls. Top with baked sweet potato and serve. Enjoy!
- To poach chicken: Place a large chicken breast in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Season with salt, pepper and mixed dried herbs. Cover with a lid and boil for 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the chicken to rest for a further 30 minutes before removing from the water.
- You can also use the breast meat from a roasted chicken if you’d prefer a more convenient option.
- Other flavours you can try include using beetroot, avocado, walnuts, cherry tomatoes, capsicum and watercress.
- ½ serve carbohydrate
- 1 serve protein
- 2 ½ serve vegetables
- ½ serve fat