Laura's Spaghetti Bolognese
Servings: 6 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4 bacon, lean rashers, finely chopped
- 6 spring onion white parts finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2-3 rosemary, fresh sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 500 g beef, mince lean
- 800 g tomato, diced, canned
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 chilli, red, small deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 cube stock, beef reduced salt
- 125 ml red wine
- 6 tomato, cherry sliced in half
To season and serve:
- 75 g cheese, parmesan grated
- 300 g pasta, spaghetti cooked as per packet instruction, high fibre if possible
- Put a large saucepan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add 4 finely chopped bacon rashers and fry for 10 mins until golden and crisp.
- Reduce the heat and add the spring onions, carrots, celery sticks, garlic and the rosemary. Fry for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add 500g beef mince and cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes until the meat is browned all over.
- Add 2 x tins cherry tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves, tomato paste, 1 x beef stock cube, chilli (if using), red wine and tinned tomatoes. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you have a rich, thick sauce. Serve with cooked pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Whole foods: 60% 1 serve of this recipe provides:
- 1 serve carbohydrate
- 1 serve protein
- ¼ serve fat
- 1 ½ serves non-starchy vegetables
Calories: 532kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 791mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g