When it comes to fast food, Mexican is definitely one of the Hub teams favourites. While delicious, a lot of the standard fare could do with a vegetable boost. In our Vegetable loaded Mexican plate we’ve reduced the portions of energy dense foods and increased the portions of nutrient dense, high fibre vegetables.
The result? Same delicious flavour we all love, a satiating high volume meal, and a decent serve of protein too.
Been active? Add a serving of brown rice.
Loaded Mexican Plate
- 4 chicken, thigh diced
- 1 tbsp oil, olive
- 2 tsp taco seasoning gluten free if required
- 80 g cheese, tasty, low fat grated
- 400 g beans, black, canned drained and rinsed
- 400 g corn, kernels, canned drained and rinsed
- 1 punnet tomato, cherry halved
- 1 cucumber, Lebanese cubed
- 1 onion, red finely diced
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 lettuce, oak leaf shredded
- ½ bunch coriander, fresh leaves removed
- 1 lime cut into 4 wedges
- 20 g cream, sour (optional)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the chicken and Mexican seasoning and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is light golden and cooked through. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, microwave the black beans for 30 seconds to warm.
- Arrange the chicken, black beans and the rest of the ingredients on four plates or large bowls. A pinwheel of colour is always a really fun way to present this dish!
- Serve with dollop of sour cream.
- 1 serve protein
- 1 carbohydrate
- 1 serve of fat (+1 serve if having sour cream)
- 2 serve vegetable