Whomever said that real men don’t eat quiche, was clearly failing at life. Not only is quiche delicious but it’s also a fantastic source of protein and can be a great way to get a little extra veggies into your day. These quiches could be a boost to your protein intake in the morning. Cook up a batch and set some aside for a few breakfasts across your week. They also make a great lunch when combined with a colourful salad. Or, you could try having one quiche (1/2 a serve) for an afternoon snack. It’s more likely to keep you full and satisfied than whatever is in the biscuit tin at work!
One of the best things about quiche is that it’s like a frittata but in pastry! And who doesn’t love a little pastry? These quiches use filo pastry which is much lower in fat than puff pastry or short cut pastry. I’ll be honest – pastry used to scare me. But filo is really easy to use. Use a little bit of spray oil to keep it from drying out and it’s the perfect casing for an egg mixture.
While eggs get a bad wrap due to their cholesterol content, the science is unclear as to whether eating eggs actually impacts our blood cholesterol levels, or our risk of cardiovascular disease. Certainly I wouldn’t recommend only eating eggs for every meal, but including them a few times a week can be a healthy way of adding variety to your diet. Eggs are also a great source of protein and rich in vitamins A, D and B12. Mix things up with this simple and quick quiche recipe!
- 8 sheets pastry, filo
- 6 egg
- 1 cup mushroom, common finely chopped
- 60 g ham finely chopped
- 3 cup spinach, baby (wilted or 2 frozen spinach cubes)
- 60 g cheese, tasty, low fat grated
- oil, olive, spray
- Lightly grease muffin tray and preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl whisk eggs. Add mushrooms, ham and spinach and mix until combined.
- Cut filo pastry into 10cm by 10 cm squares. Line each hole muffin tray with 2 filo pastry sheets. Lightly spray pastry with olive oil.
- Evenly pour egg mixture into each filo cup. Top with cheese.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until egg is firm and pastry is golden.
- Serve with a green salad. Makes 12 quiches, 4 per person.
- 1 serve carbohydrate
- 1 serve protein
- ½ serve vegetables