This curry is a #HubSquad submission from our lovely members Claire and Ashley! We made the following suggestions for a whole food-based and plate-modelled meal.
- Increased the chickpeas and divided the meal into 4 serves so that each portion equals 1 protein-rich serve.
- Replaced potato with pumpkin as a lower carbohydrate option for a more balanced meal as it already contains rice and chickpeas.
- Increase tinned tomatoes and add some baby spinach to increase the vegetable serves.
- Added some ginger and mustard seeds for flavour.
We’ve also added the nutritional content. Enjoy!
Pumpkin, Chickpea and Coconut Curry
A warming and nourishing bowl of tasty goodness! Give this easy and cheap veggo curry a go, you won't regret it!
Servings: 5 people
- 1 tbsp oil, olive extra virgin
- 1 onion, brown diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 chilli, red diced
- 1 tsp seeds, mustard
- 1 bunch coriander, fresh leaves picked and stalks chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 800 g tomato, diced, canned
- 270 ml coconut milk, canned light
- 800 g chick peas, canned drained and rinsed
- 500 g pumpkin, butternut peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
- 2 cups spinach, baby
- 1 cup rice, brown raw
- Add the oil to a medium-sized pot over medium-low heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add the mustard seeds, coriander stalks and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric, tomatoes and coconut milk, bring to a gentle boil. Add the chickpeas and pumpkin. Bring to a simmer and cover for 40 minutes until pumpkin is tender. Add water if it looks dry.
- In the meanwhile cook rice as per packet instruction.
- Remove lid from curry and cook for a further 10 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and stir through the spinach leaves.
- Serve warm with rice and coriander leaves and condiments such as greek yoghurt and chutney. Season curry with salt and pepper to taste.
Whole foods: 82% 1 serve of this recipe provides:
- ¾ serve of protein*
- ¾ serve of carbohydrate
- 2 serves of fat
- 4 serves of non-starchy vegetable
Calories: 485kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 437mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 18g | Calcium: 194mg