Spiced Chickpeas with Spinach
An easy, cheap and plant based dinner for the veggo's and veggo meal lovers out there!
Servings: 4 people
- 300 g spinach, baby washed, finely shredded
- 1 onion, brown diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp oil, sunflower
- 1 tsp ginger, fresh grated
- 2 tsp coriander, ground, spice
- 1 tsp cumin, spice
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp chilli, powder or dried chilli flakes to taste
- 200 g tomato, diced, canned
- 800 g chickpeas, canned no added salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garam marsala, spice
- 1 cup rice, brown raw
- 2 cup steam fresh vegetables any
- Cook brown rice as per packet instructions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and beginning to go golden. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring to prevent the garlic and ginger sticking or burning.
- Stir in the coriander, turmeric, cumin and chilli and cook for a further minute, then stir in the tomatoes and their juices and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to give a thick sauce.
- Add the chick peas and their liquid, salt, garam marsala, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, then turn up the heat, bring the mixture to the boil and cook for a further 5 minutes until the spinach is tender, and the liquid almost evaporated. Check the seasoning and serve with brown rice and steamed vegetable side. A dollop of Greek yoghurt would go well.
Whole foods: 89% 1 serve of this recipe provides:
- 1 serve protein*
- 1 serve carbohydrate
- 1 serve fat
- 3 serve non-starchy vegetables
Calories: 426kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 764mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 5g | Calcium: 242mg