This Sweet Potato Pasta Bake is a #HubSquad submission from one of our lovely members Bronwyn! We suggested a slight decrease in pasta and increased all the vegetables for a whole food-based and plate-modelled meal. We’ve also added the nutritional content.
Sweet Potato Pasta Bake with Spinach and Pine Nuts
- 300 g pasta, pulse
- 1 tbsp oil, olive extra virgin
- 1 onion, brown large, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic crushed
- 4 stick celery finely chopped
- 500 g beef, mince lean
- 400 g potato, sweet coarsely grated
- 2 zucchini coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g tomato, diced, canned
- 1 cup stock, beef liquid
- 4 sprig thyme, fresh
- 150 g spinach, baby
- 1 punnet tomato, cherry halved
- 100 g cheese, ricotta, regular
- 40 g cheese, parmesan grated
- 40 g pine nuts
- Cook pasta in a large pan of salted, boiling water until al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium sized pan on medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic and celery for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up lumps with a spoon. Add sweet potato and zucchini. Cook for 2 minutes until softened slightly.
- Add tomato paste, tinned tomatoes, stock and thyme. Simmer, uncovered for 15-20 minutes until thickened slightly. Stir through cherry tomatoes and spinach leaves until wilted.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220 degrees (200 degrees fan-forced).
- Combine pasta and beef mixture in an 8-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with ricotta, parmesan and pine nuts. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- 1 carbohydrate serve
- ½ protein serve
- ½ fat serve
- 2 vegetable serves