Chicken soup is the perfect light meal to fight off a seasonal cold. The chicken provides your immune system with strength to fight off infection and the fluid helps to flush out invading bugs. Check out our article on feeding your immune system to learn more.
This recipe is packed full of vegetables and is also low in salt. It is a great alternative to packaged and pre-made soups which are often high in sodium. Make a batch of this at the beginning of the week and you will have the office envious of your hearty lunch.
Our chicken stock recipe is a fantastic base for this soup and will boost the flavour and nutritional value of your chicken soup.
- 500 g chicken, breast, cooked shredded (2 breast)
- 1 onion, brown finely shopped
- 1 carrot cubed
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced
- 2 clove garlic finely chopped
- ½ bunch parsley, flat leaf, fresh finely chopped
- ¼ bunch thyme, fresh 6 sprigs, leave removed
- 8 cup stock, chicken GF if required
- ½ tsp peppercorns, black
- salt, rock
- 1 bunch silverbeet finely sliced
- Combine onion, carrot, celery, garlic, 2 tbsp of parsley, thyme, water/stock and peppercorns in a large saucepan over medium to high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add silverbeet and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken to saucepan. Simmer for a further 2 minutes until chicken is thoroughly heated.
- Taste and season with salt.
- Serve into 4 bowls. Enjoy!
¾ serve protein
1¾ serve vegetables