Prawns are a fantastic source of lean protein and, the seafood fans out there will agree with me, they’re just so… yummy!
One of the great things about prawns is that they pair so nicely with so many different flavours and you can easily create a special, weekend style meal, without compromising on health and nutrition.
Did you know that you can store chillies in the freezer and they keep for ages? Yep, that’s right, just pull them out as you need them and they defrost while you’re chopping them up!
Salt is something that we need to keep to a minimum in our western diet, which is why I like recipes that use whole foods and salt in the ingredients rather than processed and packaged foods. Processed foods contain lots of hidden salt so using salt in cooking is much better because you can control how much is added.
I’ve used other great flavours in this recipe like garlic, ginger, lime juice and coriander. Seriously, the best part of eating these tasty little creatures is licking your fingers at the end!
When cooking this recipe, it’s best to have all your ingredients prepped, chopped and ready to go before you start. Cooking with a wok is quick but it’s easy to burn things, especially aromatics like ginger and garlic.
I also reckon that it makes you feel like a celebrity TV chef with all your ingredients prepared in lovely little white bowls!
Once the prawns are all done, serve them with some lovely baby cos leaves. It’s super fun to actually wrap up the prawns in the leaves for a prawn wrap – and if you fancy, give them a good dip in some quality aioli! Mmmm…
Chilli Rock Salt Prawns
- 1 tbsp oil, peanut (needs to withstand high temps)
- 3 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 chilli, red finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger, fresh finely chopped or minced
- ½ tsp salt, rock
- ½ tbsp sesame seeds
- 400 g prawns, green peeled with tails left on, rinsed and dried thoroughly
- ¼ bunch coriander, fresh
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 lettuce, baby cos leaves separated
- 2 tbsp aioli (optional)
- Prepare and chop all of the ingredients before you start cooking as you want them ready to quickly chuck in the wok as you go.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat. Add the chilli, garlic and ginger and toss for 1 minute. Add the prawns and toss over high heat for 3 minutes. Add the sesame seeds and continue to toss over the heat for a further 2 minutes or until the prawns are cooked through.
- Remove the prawns from the heat and toss in the coriander and lime juice.
- Serve the prawns with the lettuce and if you’re so inclined, a dollop of aioli. Enjoy!
- ½ serve protein
- 1 serve vegetables
- 1 serve fat