Most of us need to be eating more fish and more vegetables. So, it’s time for another salmon recipe with yummy vegetable sides.
This recipe is very simple. Pan-fried salmon, crispy baked potatoes and carrots and brussel sprouts sautéed in olive oil, garlic and flaked almonds. It contains no processed foods (besides the olive oil), only fresh, whole ingredients.
Salmon is an absolutely divine fish and offers so much nutrition. I love pairing it with lots of different vegetables for easy, low fuss, nutritious meals. This recipe is simply the salmon, pan-fried in olive oil and nothing else. It’s just so good, all by itself.
I’m a big believer that the healthiest foods don’t come out of packets, jars or sachets so I’ve purposely created this recipe to contain none of these processed foods and just let the individual foods speak for themselves.
The carrots and brussel sprouts are lovely autumn/winter vegetables that taste fantastic lightly sautéed, keeping most of their crunch, with the added flavours of garlic and almonds.
And the potatoes… Oh my!
Those crispy, moorish, delightfully salty potatoes. I can’t even begin to tell you how amazing they are.
There’s a few tricks to cooking the best crispy potatoes. Keep the skin on for extra dietary fibre. Boil them first. Drain and toss well to get rid of the excess water and make them ‘fluffy’. Use a hot oven.
You could add a lovely white wine sauce to this dish, if you weren’t worried about extra calories, but I think it’s great all on its own. Just lovely, fresh vegetables, crunchy, salty potatoes and a moist piece of fish. Yum!
Salmon, Crispy Potatoes and Garlic Almond Vegetables
- 2 tbsp oil, olive
- 500 g potato, medium skin on, cut into 8ths
- salt, table
- 400 g salmon, fillet, fresh
- 18 brussel sprouts halved
- 2 carrot cut into sticks
- 3 clove garlic finely chopped
- 20 g almonds, flaked
- 1 lemon juiced
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C. Place potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water and boil, covered, for 10-15 minutes or until soft. Drain and toss well in a colander to get rid of the excess water and until they start to look ‘fluffy’.
- Toss the potatoes in 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil and half of the salt. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Evenly spread the potatoes on the baking paper and cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- While the potatoes are baking, heat a non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Add 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil and cook the salmon fillets, skin side down for 4 minutes or until the skin is golden and crispy. Turn the salmon and cook for a further 3 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat and cover until serving time.
- Heat the remainder of the olive oil in the pan, add the carrots, brussel sprouts, garlic and almonds and sauté over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until the almonds are golden.
- Evenly divide the potatoes, salmon and vegetables among serving plates and drizzle with a small amount of lemon juice. Enjoy!
- 1 serve protein
- ½ serve carbohydrate
- 1¼ serve fat
- 2 serve vegetable